Cycle your way through the spectacular wilderness that Taupō and the Central Plateau of New Zealand’s North Island have to offer. The Chris Jolly Outdoors guided biking tours are a fantastic way to explore either the lakes edge, dense mountain trails or high alpine ridge lines. Mountain biking offers another dimension to being in the outdoors, providing a sense of freedom and adventure. It can be everything from the relaxed slow pace, too fast, technical and physically challenging.
What your guided biking tour can include:
- Hard tail full suspension and e-bikes
- Mountain Biking, Alpine biking or lakes edge biking
- Choose between a half or full-day of guided biking
- Beginner, middle or expert skill level rides
- Guided biking is a buildable addition to any of the other Chris Jolly Outdoors activities.
- Catered options
- Transport is available both to and from your accommodation
Aratiatia Dam to Huka Falls Guided Biking Experience
This ride is timed to coincide with the opening of the flood gates at the Aratiatia dam providing a stunning view of the rapidly rising water. The ride back along the mighty Waikato River takes you through native bush, flora and fauna before ending at the awe-inspiring Huka Falls. The gates open at 10.00 am and 2.00 pm so you will be collected 30 minutes prior. The ride time is approximately three and a half hours long and requires medium fitness levels.
Bikes and Coffee
A two-hour scenic ride along the shores of Lake Taupō starting in the central township and riding out past hot water beach, past some of Taupō’s iconic architecturally designed batches on a gentle cobbled trail to Wharewaka Point. Our guides will provide you with a running commentary along the way, what could be more relaxing! On the return ride, you will be rewarded with a coffee stop where you can stretch your legs, sit and soak up the vistas of our impressive trio of mountains.
Waihaha to Waihora Bay
Slated as “The best Grade 3 ride in New Zealand.” Waihaha to Waihora bay is an extraordinary and scenically beautiful ride with expansive views of Lake Taupō and the majestic volcanoes of Tongariro National Park as your backdrop. Ride amongst vast sands of Kamahi and volcanic rock formations then descend down to Waihora Bay. The entire journey is 30km and will require a high level of fitness to complete successfully. We allow about 6 hours for the round trip, including a catered lunch stop.
Biking in the Central Plateau
Here in Taupō we are home to some of the best biking in the country, with a wide range of trails for all abilities, there’s something for everyone.
For families, there are plenty of grade 1 and 2 options such as the Great Lake Walkway where on a clear day you can see the mountains across the lake and even enjoy a quick swim. Then at the other end of the scale, we have Craters of the Moon mountain bike park which features over 60 tracks including some technical grade 5 stuff for the more adventurous people.
Derived from one of the greatest volcanic eruptions ever known, the regions free-draining pumice soil means excellent riding conditions year-round – even in mid-winter.
Privately Guided Biking Packages
We will tailor a ride for your level of fitness, and organise everything from the transport to your bike hire, right down to your snacks for the trip. Let us take care of you while you are here, all you need to do is decide where you would like to go in the region, and we will pick you up with the bike rack on and the helmets packed, all you need to do is say go.
Biking Half-Day and Full-Day Packages Available
We offer half-day or full-day biking packages with a variety of different cycling experiences on offer.
- – Full day or half day packages – alpine or bush
- – Family or group tours with an easy rolling ride
- – Beginner level through to expert level
- – Combine your package into a multi-day activity tour (including biking, boating and paddle boarding).
Let the team at Chris Jolly Outdoors guide you on a biking experience that will remain unforgettable for years to come. Enquire now to start your journey with us.
The Cruise To Plant Project
Chris Jolly Outdoors is committed to planting trees in an effort to protect and enhance Aotearoa’s natural environment. All passengers on Chris Jolly Outdoors scenic cruises will have a dollar from their ticket price go towards the planting project with The Opepe Farm Trust. This is one of the first planting initiatives for Chris Jolly with the future goals being to offset the boat charter service and to become carbon neutral. The partnership with The Opepe Farm Trust will help to ensure that the right trees are planted for sustainability. The Trust is passionate about protecting the environment for future generations and has the knowledge and expertise to guide the project. Together, we can make a difference in the fight against climate change and help to preserve our natural environment.
Your Taupō Activity Partner
As the trusted activity partner for things to do in Taupō for forty years, Chris Jolly Outdoors will take care of you during your stay here. From absolute relaxation and fishing crystal pools to exciting hikes in the wilderness; we are the go-to guides to tick off that bucket list.
In Taupō, the possibilities are truly endless. But one thing is sure; we will create a memorable experience for you that you’ll treasure forever. Put yourself in the picture with us, and book with us today.
What We Offer
- Five private charter boats for small or large functions up to 140 pax with full catering/bar/fishing equipment and an exclusive personal crew
- Access to private land, water and know-how of local’s secret spaces
- Corporate events & team building.
Reliable and Experienced
- We’re a family headed by Chris’s son Simon Jolly with a number of the Jolly clan still working within the team
- We’re a bunch of fishing, hiking, boating, biking, and bush experts with experienced staff who can teach you a lot about the Taupō region.
- We’ve spent forty years in the industry taking care of people’s holidays.
- Gold Qualmark rated (5 star rating NZ)
- Our Fly fishing guides are Orvis endorsed, a globally recognised mark of excellence
- Partners with Ngāti Tūwharetoa (TMGH) with a focus on growing Māori Tourism for Taupō
What clothing is best for hiking, hunting, fishing or being outdoors in Taupō?
Conditions are changeable in Taupō, so it's best to be prepared! The local's joke that Taupō can have four seasons in a day!
- Hiking boots with good ankle support and grip, or other sturdy footwear
- Sun hat or warm beanie – pack one and wear the other (we lose 70% of heat through our heads alone!)
- Sunglasses – wear or pack, NZ has harsh sunlight.
- Base layer: top and leggings in polypropylene/wool, quick dry shorts or pants
- Mid layer: long-sleeved top in wool or polar fleece – wear or pack depending on the weather
- Gloves in polypropylene/wool – wear or pack, only in Winter really.
- Socks in polypropylene or wool ( a spare pair is always a good idea)
A good exterior layer:
- Wind and waterproof jacket with hood – wear or pack depending on the weather
- Waterproof overtrousers optional
I’m planning on going hiking while in Taupō, what should I bring?
- Day pack with a waterproof liner (no one likes wet clothes)
- Drink bottle – 2 litre, per day you will be out.
- Packed lunch and snacks – if you are coming on a guided hike with us here at Chris Jolly Outdoors we can cater your hike
- Fully charged mobile phone
- Personal medication, eg antihistamines, asthma medication
- Extra base layer and socks
- Rubbish bag
- Map of the area you'll be walking - if you are being guided you will not need this, we will direct you.
Emergency equipment:if you are coming on a guided hike with us here at Chris Jolly Outdoors we will make sure to have the following list on hand.
- Basic first aid kit including hand sanitiser, sunscreen and insect repellent
- Head torch/torch and spare batteries in case you take longer than intended
- Survival blanket to keep you warm in an emergency
- Whistle in case your split up or need help
- Extra high energy snack food
Are there any native birds around Taupō?