Guided Heli Fly Fishing in the Backcountry
The ultimate fly fishing experience, complete with helicopter transfers into New Zealand's backcountry with brown and rainbow trophy trout photo opportunities. Take a trip through untouched streams and untouched waters, and put your angling skills to the test in the best fly fishing arena New Zealand has to offer.Enquire Now
Tailor-made Heli Transfer Trips for the Individual Angler
At Chris Jolly Outdoors, we tailor make each fly fishing experience for the angler, We offer helicopter transfers to some of the best trout fishing in New Zealand. Our expert fly fishing guides will ensure you have a full day of world-class fly fishing. Experience Heli Transfer fly fishing like never before. We guarantee an unforgettable experience tailored just for you.
Provided on your Heli Fly Fishing Experience:
- Pick up and drop off from your accommodation
- Helicopter access to North Islands remote wilderness rivers.
- You own Orvis-endorsed fishing guide
- Orvis-approved rods, reels, waders, boots and jackets (if needed)
- Flies and leaders
- Lunch, snacks and refreshments (please advise in advance of dietary requirements)
- All necessary fishing licenses
Heli Fly Fishing Gear Recommendations:
In Summer we recommend wearing:
- Light layers, a fleece/light jersey in case of a bit of breeze in the shade.
In Winter we recommend wearing
- Thermal layers, preferably wool-based
- A winter hat and gloves.
On your heli fishing experience
- We provide outerwear but you are welcome to bring your own gear if you have it.
- We recommend Rubber-soled boots, with plastic studs if possible.
- Highly photographable scenic Flights to remote locations
- Trophy Rainbow and Brown Trout depending on your catch
- Multi-day tours are available with dinner breakfast and overnight accommodation.
- Your guides are English speaking
- There is no dangerous game, poisonous insects or snakes or spiders (no snakes at all)
New Zealand North island backcountry heli fly fishing
Experienced angler looking for an unforgettable fishing trip? New Zealand’s backcountry is renowned the world over for its fly fishing, and with good reason – its vast wilderness rivers and streams are home to some of the best trout fishing in the world. With our orvis endorsed experienced guides on hand, you’re sure to experience some of the best new Zealand backcountry heli fly fishing of your life. Come and join us for an unforgettable fly-fishing adventure in New Zealand’s backcountry – you won’t regret it!
When is the best time for your backcountry experience?
The backcountry rivers open from December 1st till the end of April. The rivers and streams consist of small pebbly and sandy bottoms through to larger, heavy flowing river waters.
With Helicopter access to the best New Zealand high country rivers, you will get access to pristine waters for brown and rainbow trout with an average weight of 1-2 kilos, with larger trophy trout up for grabs to the lucky few each season.
The Best Fly Fishing You’ll Ever Experience A True Angling Adventure
Fly fishing can be challenging and rewarding, but it’s not always easy to find the right guide or access prime locations. Not only is Chris Jolly Outdoors one of the most experienced fly fishing outfitters in New Zealand, but our helicopter transfers that will take you to some of the country’s best fly fishing spots. Our full-day guided fly fishing trips are perfect for anglers who want the most fly time on beautiful, unspoiled wilderness rivers. We’ll provide everything you need, from top-of-the-line gear to expert instruction.
We use the best quality equipment
If you’re looking for the best quality Helicopter fly fishing experience, look no further than Chris Jolly Outdoors. We only use the best equipment to make sure our guests have a great time fly fishing in New Zealand. Our guides are experienced and knowledgeable, and we’re proud to be Orvis Endorsed. You won’t find a better quality fly fishing experience anywhere else. fly fishing can be an incredible experience especially when you are deep in the backcountry, and we want to make sure you have the best possible time while you’re with us. That’s why we only use the best quality equipment.
Multi-day tours Heli fishing experience
Looking for more than one day on the water? Multi-day tours are the perfect way to experience all that New Zealand backcountry fishing has to offer. we can tailor an unforgettable Heli fishing experience just for you. get in touch with the team at Chris Joly outdoors to plan the ultimate Multi-day fishing adventure in New Zealand. You won’t regret it!
Looking for the Ultimate fly fishing gift?
Looking for the perfect gift for the fly fishing enthusiast in your life? Give them the gift of an unforgettable experience with Chris Jolly Outdoors. Whether they’re a beginner or an experienced angler, our knowledgeable guides will ensure they get the most fly time on the river. We offer full-day guided fly fishing trips complete with VIP helicopter transfers, Orvis-endorsed equipment, and packed home-cooked picnic lunches.
The Cruise To Plant Project
Chris Jolly Outdoors is committed to planting trees in an effort to protect and enhance Aotearoa’s natural environment. All passengers on Chris Jolly Outdoors scenic cruises will have a dollar from their ticket price go towards the planting project with The Opepe Farm Trust. This is one of the first planting initiatives for Chris Jolly with the future goals being to offset the boat charter service and to become carbon neutral. The partnership with The Opepe Farm Trust will help to ensure that the right trees are planted for sustainability. The Trust is passionate about protecting the environment for future generations and has the knowledge and expertise to guide the project. Together, we can make a difference in the fight against climate change and help to preserve our natural environment.
Your Taupō Activity Partner
As the trusted activity partner for things to do in Taupō for forty years, Chris Jolly Outdoors will take care of you during your stay here. From absolute relaxation and fishing crystal pools to exciting hikes in the wilderness; we are the go-to guides to tick off that bucket list.
In Taupō, the possibilities are truly endless. But one thing is sure; we will create a memorable experience for you that you’ll treasure forever. Put yourself in the picture with us, and book with us today.
What We Offer
- Five private charter boats for small or large functions up to 140 pax with full catering/bar/fishing equipment and an exclusive personal crew
- Access to private land, water and know-how of local’s secret spaces
- Corporate events & team building.
Reliable and Experienced
- We’re a family headed by Chris’s son Simon Jolly with a number of the Jolly clan still working within the team
- We’re a bunch of fishing, hiking, boating, biking, and bush experts with experienced staff who can teach you a lot about the Taupō region.
- We’ve spent forty years in the industry taking care of people’s holidays.
- Gold Qualmark rated (5 star rating NZ)
- Our Fly fishing guides are Orvis endorsed, a globally recognised mark of excellence
- Partners with Ngāti Tūwharetoa (TMGH) with a focus on growing Māori Tourism for Taupō
Do I need a license to go fly fishing in New Zealand?
What should I wear for fly fishing in New Zealand?
Why do we only use the best quality equipment at Chris Jolly Outdoors?
Can I bring my own equipment?
How much experience do I need to go fly fishing in Taupo?
What is the maximum group size?