Enjoy our Daily 3.30 pm Scenic Cruise of Maori Carvings on Lake Taupō. Get up close and personal to the Ngātoroirangi Māori carvings, and appreciate the culture and craftsmanship in a relaxed setting. Take a stunning tour of Lake Taupō’s bays as you cruise along the coastline. The journey is 90 minutes with an extended viewing time and educational commentary of both the region, history and cultural significance of the carvings themselves. Enjoy a homemade muffin and a hot beverage of your choice, this is included in the price of your admission. Join us, and let our passionate tour guides and skipper make your holiday.
Get up close and personal with this awe-inspiring culturally significant piece of art
The Maori Carvings Scenic Cruise Includes:
- Leaves daily at 3.30 pm in the afternoon in April, July and October school holidays
- Takes 90 minutes
- Suitable for all ages
- Spacious viewing platforms and warm enclosed areas, space for large groups
- Tea, coffee and freshly baked muffins are provided.
- Live educational commentary about the Maori rock carvings
- Additional kid-friendly activities on board, colouring, a treasure hunt , and even driving the boat (ask the Skipper nicely)
- If you are travelling in a group of 10 or more, please contact us directly on 07 378 0623 as we may be able to organize a bulk discount or a private charter.
From $45 per person
Tips for what to bring on your chartered boat ride:
- Event appropriate clothing
- Swimwear and a towel if you plan on swimming
- Warm layers
- Boat friendly footwear
Visiting Taupō New Zealand? Some helpful Information:
- The Chris Jolly staff are English speaking
- There is no dangerous marine life dwelling in the lake.
- No poisonous insects or snakes or spiders (no snakes at all)
- New Zealand is underneath the hole in the Ozone layer, therefore the UV rays are harsher than in other countries.
- You’ll always receive the best Kiwi Hospitality!
The rock alcove at Mine Bay became the canvas for one of the most extraordinary contemporary carvings New Zealand has ever seen.
History of the Māori Rock Carvings
The Ngātoroirangi story begins with Te Huatahi Susie Gilbert of Ngāti Tūwharetoa. Susie asked her grandson Matahi Whakataka Brightwell to create a likeness of her ancestor Ngātoroirangi on a totara tree to create a permanent connection for her family to the land. When Matahi arrived in Taupō, there was no totara tree to carve, so he journeyed onto the lake for inspiration and found the rock alcove at Mine Bay. The alcove then became the canvas for one of the most extraordinary contemporary carvings in New Zealand. Ngātoroirangi is surrounded by smaller sculptures depicting tupuna (ancestors) and kaitiaki (guardians). Ngātoroirangi towers 14-metres above Lake Taupō and is regarded as a significant North Island tourist attraction. Ngātoroirangi is a true showpiece of New Zealand’s cultural artistic ability.
Be Weather Wise On Your Cruise Boat Adventure
Weather in Taupō varies from 2 to 22 degrees Celsius depending on the season. It rarely snows in the Winter at lake level with the Summer months able to get quite humid, between 70-90%. Bearing this in mind, please bring seasonally appropriate clothing and polarized sunglasses.
Taking the journey on the Chris Jolly Outdoors Cruise Cat to the Maori Rock Carvings is a truly magical way to experience Lake Taupō, click here to book now.
Reliable and Experienced
After forty years in the industry, spending time with the team at Chris Jolly Outdoors is like coming home to someone you can trust
- We’re a family just like you, headed by Simon Jolly with a number of the Jolly clan still working within the team
- We’re a bunch of fishing, hiking, boating, biking, bush experts with experienced staff who can teach you a lot about the Taupo region.
- Our Fly fishing guides are Orvis endorsed, a globally recognised mark of excellence
- Gold Qualmark rated (5 star rating NZ)
- Specialists in corporate, entertainment and bespoke itineraries in Taupō’s Outdoors.
- Partners with Ngāti Tūwharetoa (TMGH) with a focus on growing Māori Tourism for Taupō
- Proud conservationists with the future of our stunning Lake Taupo forefront in our minds
An Exceptionally Unique Team
As the trusted activity partner for things to do in Taupō for forty years, Chris Jolly Outdoors will take care of you during your stay here. From absolute relaxation, and fishing crystal pools to exciting hikes in the wilderness; we are the go-to guides to tick off that bucket list.
In Taupō, the possibilities are truly endless. But one thing is certain; we will create a memorable experience for you that you’ll treasure forever. Put yourself in the picture with us, book with us today.
What We Offer
- Five private charter boats for small or large functions up to 140 pax with full catering/bar/fishing equipment and an exclusive personal crew
- Access to private land, water and know-how of local’s secret spaces
- Experts in the outdoors – fly fishing, hiking, biking, hunting and cruising
- Corporate events & team building
- Venue hire on the water – whatever it is, from Nana Beryl’s 80th to your Christmas party, we can make it happen, leave the logistics to us
Matahi Whakataka-Brightwell shares his story
Do you cater to all dietary requirements?
What do the smaller sculptures around the Māori carvings represent?
How big are the Ngātoroirangi rock carvings?
How old are the Māori carvings?
Can you swim in Lake Taupō?
Are any of your activities child friendly?
Is jumping into the lake allowed off the boat?