See yourself in the picture – Hike the Lake Taupō Region
Step into some of the most exclusive and untouched areas of wilderness that this region has to offer. Chris Jolly Outdoors is the trusted and certified guiding company with specialists to take you hiking, biking and adventuring across New Zealand’s central plateau.
Most importantly, our commitment to providing our clients with a complete five-star experience includes transfers, a specialist guide, all the equipment and private access into stunning alpine and forest landscapes.
We offer half-day or full day packages with a variety of flavours:
- Alpine landscape full day experiences: See Mount Doom, tackle the Tongariro crossing with a fully certified guide and learn about vast volcanic regions.
- Native NZ bush exclusive: Full-day hikes in untouched wilderness. See wild animals, native birds and stunning scenery in a private location.
- Bird Watching tours: half, full day or multi-day adventures covering alpine, bush and Lake birds local to the region.
- Interactive hikes: half, full-day educational tours to study NZ plants, build huts as well as learn survival techniques and interesting facts about local landscapes.
- Cultural heritage hikes: half-day bush walk to learn about the real history of the local Tūwharetoa, their cultures, rongoa (native plant medicine) and traditions of Tikanga Māori.
- Heli Hikes: for the ultimate wilderness adventure into backcountry New Zealand. Cross rivers, climb mountains and get your fingers into the Kiwi soil.
“We come from California, where there are 40 million people. On the trail, we were a population of five (the guide and my family), and the only noise was birds, the wind whistling through the trees and the crunch of our shoes on the dirt track. You have no idea how special this is. If you do one thing while in NZ, go hiking with CJO.”
“My kid’s jaws dropped as our guide made fire from the sticks in the bush. So glad he didn’t make me eat the Huhu grub! They may taste like peanut butter, but that’s taking bush survival to the next level”.
“Travelling to New Zealand, we booked a guided Tongariro Crossing tour with Chris Jolly Outdoors and we are so glad we did! Our guide was a fountain of knowledge and we had five-star service the whole way!”
“Sometimes it feels a bit funny to be a tourist in your own country, But it can be so rewarding. My wife and I did guided bird watchers walk on a beautiful Saturday morning and are so glad we did. The guide taught us about local plants, birdlife and history of the area. Now I’m telling everyone how to call in a fantail!”
“My wife booked this exclusive day hiking tour and I was preparing to be bored. A full day walking, are you kidding me? Then we enter this ‘world’ behind a locked gate. It’s like being in ‘The Hobbit’, and there are wild animals running around everywhere. Crystal streams, views of the mountains, and no people anywhere. My wife wanted me to ‘get off-grid’, and you guys nailed it. Thanks!”